How to create new site from .zip import?

Q: DevKinsta Version
A: Version 2.10.0 (2.10.0.6571)

Q: OS Version
A: macOS 13.3.1 (22E261)

Q: Docker Desktop Version
A: 4.18.0 (104112)

Q: Were any error codes or messages observed? If so, what were they?
A: no

Q: Detailed Description of the Problem
A: I managed to get past the error messages to get the site to create but it’s displaying the localhost site URL and only that.

2min video: 2023-04-13 cannot import zi...

Hello @cliff :wave:

Normally we can import from the backup (.zip) as shown on our article here .
I’ve also just tested the same thing few mins ago: made a downloadable backup from my MyKinsta account (into a .zip file), once downloaded, I imported that .zip file to my DevKinsta → Add Site → Custom Site → Import backup menu/section.
The import (Create site) was successful and I could access the local site just fine as expected, and then on my DevKinsta > Sites page, I could see that imported site listed as “WordPress” instead of “Custom site” (as shown on your Closingcosts site in that video you shared).

I’m not sure how you did get that .zip file (if it was not generated from MyKinsta), but if that backup .zip file import didn’t work well as expected, you may want to try with the manual method as shown on our article/doc here

Cheers,
Agus

oops, just now saw your response… in bumping into this issue again…

my import .zip is not from Kinsta export, instead from a different host. Trying to get it prepped locally before importing to new host.

Hi @cliff!

Thank you for your reply! This is certainly a unique case. I can see using a zip archive I downloaded from my test site here on Kinsta upon import it completes without error, and values in the database such as those for the site URL are automatically updated. The site is then able to be accessed locally without issue.

Just to confirm, are the .sql file and public directory immediately at the top of the zip archive? Also, just to confirm what is the configured database encoding in the wp-config.php file immediately after you downloaded it from your current hosting provider?

We look forward to hearing back from you!

Best regards

thanks for the quick reply. my backup program does not put the .sql file in the root but I know to manually do so and re-zip.

are you saying all the files/folders need to be contained within a ‘public’ folder - so my root should look like this?

• something.sql
  • public
    – wp-config.php
    – et al

Hi @cliff!

Thank you for your reply! Yes, with my own backup archive zip downloaded from MyKinsta I see the .sql database backup file is located at the top of the archive. And, the only other directory at the top of the archive is the public folder. All other files/folders for the site exist within the public directory.

To confirm, is this how your zip archive directory structure appears before you import it into DevKinsta?

We look forward to hearing from you!

Best regards

gotcha. I now know how to start a new site with a .zip

I would very much appreciate the DK-0081 error’s KB entry documenting the expected folder structure

Thank you for your reply, @cliff!

Thank you for your feedback. I will forward this to our team to review for inclusion into our documentation.

To confirm, were you able to setup your backup zip with this type of file structure and import the site successfully into DevKinsta?

Best regards

yes, once I put my files in that structure the import worked

Hi Cliff,

Thank you for confirming and we are really glad that fixed the issue of the import with DevKinsta.

If ever you encounter issues, please feel free to reach out.

Have a great day!

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.