Database Live to Staging

1. I am trying to find a way to share database between live and staging if possible. I am looking into staging environment variables as a maybe solution.- Is this possible with DevKinsta ?

2. I am also wondering if devkinsta will open to use other hosting solutions than kinsta. Like local.
    The reason is that we might buy other companies with a different hosting environment and they might not use kinsta as there main hosting provider.
    Moving a lot of sites can be time consuming and we need time to move hosing solutions.

Hi @Johanna, welcome to DevKinsta!

1. There is no easy way to do this with Kinsta currently. Connecting to the Live database from DevKinsta would require SSH tunneling which is a bit more complicated iwht DevKinsta. Your best bet would be to have remote database hosting and have both your Staging and Live connect to that same remote database. We actually have our database hosting in beta now if you want to give that a try to see how it would work: A New Era of Developer-Centric Hosting is Coming - Kinsta®

2. So being able to Push and Pull sites from other hosts would require those hosts to have APIs for our developers to work with. The best you can do for now is to probably use a plugin like Migrate Guru or some GIT workflow. We’ll soon allow importing WordPress websites from ZIP files so that may help.

1 Like