WP updates automatically to latest version after install

Q: Date/Time this occurred (Provide your time zone also)
A: 01/04/2023

Q: DevKinsta Version
A: 2.10

Q: OS Version
A: MacOS 12 latest

Q: Docker Desktop Version
A: 4.17

Q: Detailed Description of the Problem
A:
Install a new personnalized WP choosing for example v6.1.1.
After the install, the generation of the thumbnail in Devkinsta site page runs the automatic update of WP to 6.2… So we need to delete site files and DB to copy a 6.1.1 version in replacement which is not really convenient.

Hi @dw4y :wave:

Thank you for reaching us out!

I could replicate this case on my DevKinsta as well, and it seems the WP got automatically updated (from 6.1.1 to 6.2 version) by itself when the site setup was still running/processing.

As a workaround I had to do these manual steps (tested and confirmed to be working), and that you may want to test as well:

1. Turn off the internet connection of my current computer - so I ran DevKinsta in offline mode on it.
  2. I added a new Custom site (Install WordPress) and chose 6.1.1 version in DevKinsta
  3. Once the WP site has been created, I went to that new site’s folder ( under the ~/DevKinsta/public/thatwpsite ) and edited the wp-config.php file with nano text editor
  4. I added this line in that wp-config.php file and saved it :
define( 'WP_AUTO_UPDATE_CORE', false );
  1. I re-enabled my Internet connection of my current computer, and logged in to this new site’s WP Admin dashboard and could see the WP site version is still 6.1.1 (not auto-updated to 6.2).

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
Agus

Thx @Agus !
My method for importing a production website on my server (not from Kinsta) is to create a new site in Devkinsta in 6.2 directly, and then via a script, to empty database, add constants to wp-config.php for desactivating autoupdate, replace WP files with a fresh 6.1.1 version and finally restore my database.
This works perfectly but it could be really helpfull to have an option so set auto update OFF when creating website in DevKinsta :slight_smile:

You’re welcome! :smiley:
I see, yeah, well I think you could use your current method or with the steps I shared before.

This works perfectly but it could be really helpfull to have an option so set auto update OFF when creating website in DevKinsta :slight_smile:

Right, but not sure if that can be implemented and this auto update is done by the WordPress itself :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Agus

Hello @Agus !
As a matter of facts, having the choice of WordPress version when creating new site in DevKinsta is useless as it will systematically update to latest version on install.
If you want to keep this, we need to have a way to desactivate auto-update.

Heya @dw4y !

Sorry for the delay as I was not available on the weekend :slight_smile:
I do agree with you, and have now just reported this (submitted as a feature request) to our internal dev team for further check and review!
If it’s something that can be implemented in the future release (though we can’t promise anything yet), we will surely report/post it.

Thank you for your feedback and input!

Cheers,
Agus