Very slow development environment

Q: Date/Time this occurred (Provide your time zone also)
A:

Q: DevKinsta Version
A: ultimate release

Q: OS Version
A: windows 10 pro

Q: Docker Desktop Version
**A:**ultimate release

Q: Were any error codes or messages observed? If so, what were they?
A: Nothing

Q: Detailed Description of the Problem
A:
Hi, I’m starting to use devKinsta as we are kinsta customers for developing custom plugins. However despite the successful installation we find the slow environment sometimes even 60 seconds to load a page or other. We use wsl 2 with linux distribution for windows, hyper v active and everything up to date. Win 10 pro operating system.
How can we speed things up?

Hi @Aliens, welcome to DevKinsta.
We have a main thread for performance issues here: Website Interactivity is Slow - #65 by Kevin

Are you running Docker with WSL2? It is much faster with Hyper-V on Windows 10/11 Pro

yes iìm use docker to wsl 2.
So I disable by unchecking wsl2 and only use hyper-v? like in the screenshot?

Yes, Usually all you need to do is uncheck then restart Docker and it should switch to Hyper-V. Note that the WSL2 databases will not be available while you are using Hyper-V so they have to be recreated.
It’s easiest to Delete your WSL2 Site (or Push it to Kinsta) then switch to Hyper-V. You can then Create your sites under Hyper-V (or pull from Kinsta).

Ok I’m trying with hyper V instead of wsl2. I’ll update you shortly

Let’s say it’s slightly better but it’s still slow.

Currently on kyper-V I set 4 cores, 8 gb ram, 8 gb swap.

Ok as you work on it it speeds up, perhaps by slightly increasing the resources it is faster.

Thanks for the updates @Aliens, so is it more usable with Hyper-V/tweaked settings?
WSL2 allows you to tweak the resources with a .wslconfig file, but is usually still slower than Hyper-V.

Yes now it is much faster let’s say acceptable, Tomorrow I will try to set 6 cores and 12 gb of ram, just for an extra boost.

1 Like