Unable to use DevKinsta

The first method did not work.
The second method did work.

I finally have a working copy. Now I need to explore what sync offers me. It would appear that it is just going to do the same thing that failed in the beginning: download the whole site. Any reason why it wouldn’t use rsync?

Ultimately I am exploring DevKinsta to see if a client of mine can use it in order to gain more control over their site. I am comfortable with my own workflow. I will continue to checkout DevKinsta, because I am interested in the integration with Kinsta, but I would like to understand and a simpler syncing processes.

The size of my site (files: 12.2GB and database: 4.79GB) seems to make it difficult to sync. I see I can specify what files I download, but can I save that request? Is it also using rsync, so I am not downloading everything again?

Finally, aside from the issues of the size of my site, I noticed that because I use redis-cache, there is issue with object-cache.php when it is imported. I do know Kinsta have developed a process to exclude some items like that when creating staging sites. Might be nice to see this in DevKinsta.

Glad to see the second method (with WP CLI) did work! :+1:

As I know the site import from MyKinsta and the Sync (Push to/Pull from Kinsta) use rsync.

Yes, you can select or deselect files (or folder) that you would like to Push to or Pull from Kinsta (MyKinsta) - so only the selected files/folders would be processed. But I don’t think we can save what has been selected or deselected unfortunately. And yeah this push/pull method uses rsync as well.

About the Staging site creation in MyKinsta, there’s no option to exclude some items when creating staging site (clone an existing environment). And there’s only selective push options (Push files only, Push Database only or Push both/all).

Cheers,
Agus

Thank you for this information.

As a feature request, It would be helpful to be able to be able to access the rsync method, so I could manipulate.

Also, I realised a lot of my early issues stemmed from not being able to exit the setup process of DevKinsta. There was only options to retry and cancel, forcing me to re-download everything again.

You’re most welcome Darcy! :bowing_man:

Regarding this:

As a feature request, It would be helpful to be able to be able to access the rsync method, so I could manipulate.

I’m not quite understand with the request here :slight_smile: how exactly would you like to access that rsync method (and what would you like to manipulate there)? perhaps if you could provide more information/details on what would you like to achieve?

As for this case:

Also, I realised a lot of my early issues stemmed from not being able to exit the setup process of DevKinsta. There was only options to retry and cancel, forcing me to re-download everything again.

If you’re experiencing the same issue (if there are only retry or cancel options) and would like to exit from that process, I think you could just close and shutdown DevKinsta completely, and you can re-launch/re-open. Then you may want to delete that incomplete site creation from the Sites page (click the 3 dots option for that site in question → choose Delete).

Regards,
Agus

I guess given that you have said the syncing is an rsync process, I am curious where that is coded and whether I can someone adjust it.

I have tried to quit DevKinsta, but it has several processes that keep running, so I am forced to force quit them. After that, the process is stopped but there is no way to restart it. So in the case of some of the errors, I was not able to go and clean something up and then continue.

Anyway, in the end, I have got it working, but I do not feel like I can easily guide my client to setting up the environment. That is what I really need to do, as I want to help them look at code and make some changes.