Something bad happened on 16% of importing site

Q: Date/Time this occurred (Provide your time zone also)
June 13 2022, 14:30 CEST

Q: DevKinsta Version

Q: OS Version
Windows 11

Q: Docker Desktop Version
v4.9.0 (Docker Engine v20.10.16)

Q: Were any error codes or messages observed? If so, what were they?
No DK**** error code shown.

Q: Detailed Description of the Problem
Everytime I try to import a site, staging or live, the process stops at 16% with an “Something bad happened” error. I tried to reinstall DevKinsta, run as an admin, etc… Didn’t solve it.

I’m sending you the main.log file by private message.

Thanks for sending the main.log @fmon
I’m seeing a database error:

[2022-06-13 14:49:11.445] [info] [containerExec] Command ‘mysql -u root -p******* -e “create database *****;”’ on devkinsta_db finished with exit code 1
[2022-06-13 14:49:11.447] [error] [ipcMainStep] Error in operation SITE_CREATION, step database: Error: Error (1): UERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user ‘root’@‘localhost’ (using password: YES)

Can you please try the solution from this similar thread?

Also, if you have no important data saved within DevKinsta/on the databases, I would recommend quitting DK, then opening Docker’s “Troubleshoot” page and “Clean/Purge data.” This will force DevKinsta to recreate everything the next time you open it.

Please let us know if that does not work.

It worked. Thanks!

Now it stops at 33% “Can’t create mysql dump”, DK0029. I have read some of the messages about DK0029 and recreated the .ssh folder, but it didn’t solve it. This is the error part in the main.log:

[2022-06-14 12:10:48.484] [warn]  [dumpSiteDatabase] Some warnings from mysql: @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@         WARNING: UNPROTECTED PRIVATE KEY FILE!          @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@Permissions 0755 for '/root/.ssh/id_rsa' are too open.It is required that your private key files are NOT accessible by others.This private key will be ignored.Load key "/root/.ssh/id_rsa": bad permissions 
[2022-06-14 12:10:48.486] [warn]  [dumpSiteDatabase] Some warnings from mysql: Kdevlandsdesigncom@34.159.24.125: Permission denied (publickey,password). 
[2022-06-14 12:10:48.489] [error] Error - DK0029: MYSQL_DUMP_COMMON: Error (255): Kdevlandsdesigncom@34.159.24.125: Permission denied (publickey,password).
    at C:\Users\fran.montero\AppData\Local\Programs\DevKinsta\resources\app.asar\main.prod.js:2:1033145
    at tryCatch (C:\Users\fran.montero\AppData\Local\Programs\DevKinsta\resources\app.asar\main.prod.js:8:2165596)
    at Generator._invoke (C:\Users\fran.montero\AppData\Local\Programs\DevKinsta\resources\app.asar\main.prod.js:8:2165219)
    at Generator.next (C:\Users\fran.montero\AppData\Local\Programs\DevKinsta\resources\app.asar\main.prod.js:8:2166371)
    at asyncGeneratorStep (C:\Users\fran.montero\AppData\Local\Programs\DevKinsta\resources\app.asar\main.prod.js:2:1003)
    at _next (C:\Users\fran.montero\AppData\Local\Programs\DevKinsta\resources\app.asar\main.prod.js:2:1302)
    at processTicksAndRejections (node:internal/process/task_queues:96:5)
[2022-06-14 12:10:48.526] [error] [ipcMainStep] Error in operation SITE_CREATION, step rsync: Error - DK0029: MYSQL_DUMP_COMMON: Error (255): Kdevlandsdesigncom@34.159.24.125: Permission denied (publickey,password).
    at C:\Users\fran.montero\AppData\Local\Programs\DevKinsta\resources\app.asar\main.prod.js:2:1033145
    at tryCatch (C:\Users\fran.montero\AppData\Local\Programs\DevKinsta\resources\app.asar\main.prod.js:8:2165596)
    at Generator._invoke (C:\Users\fran.montero\AppData\Local\Programs\DevKinsta\resources\app.asar\main.prod.js:8:2165219)
    at Generator.next (C:\Users\fran.montero\AppData\Local\Programs\DevKinsta\resources\app.asar\main.prod.js:8:2166371)
    at asyncGeneratorStep (C:\Users\fran.montero\AppData\Local\Programs\DevKinsta\resources\app.asar\main.prod.js:2:1003)
    at _next (C:\Users\fran.montero\AppData\Local\Programs\DevKinsta\resources\app.asar\main.prod.js:2:1302)
    at processTicksAndRejections (node:internal/process/task_queues:96:5)

Odd, deleting .ssh should recreate it with the appropriate permissions the next time you run DevKinsta. Are you installing DK for just your current user or ALL USERS? That might affect how how the permissions there get set. Also this is just normal Windows 11, right? You aren’t running Hyper-V or anything special?
I’m not sure if this still works but it might also be worth a try: Windows SSH: Permissions for 'private-key' are too open - Super User

I have tried again to delete the .ssh folder so DevKinsta recreates it and it doesn’t solve this problem. Regarding the other solution, on what file should be applied? I haven’t found the private_key file in DevKinsta folders…

So it will actually be the id_rsa file within that .ssh folder that you have been deleting. DevKinsta basically creates a shortcut to that folder/file.

I asked if you were using Hyper-V because that’s the only other time I’ve seen Windows mess up the permissions of this file: DK0029 Error - Unprotected private key file

I was also wondering if how you installed DevKinsta (for just the root user or all users) was affecting this.

I’m on an M1 Mac and am experiencing the same issue. Any new site I import, gets to 16% and results in Something bad happened.

I tried this Windows 10: DK0033 error while creating a site - #4 by michael
(even though it’s windows)

I’ve also uninstalled kinsta a few times, deleted the folders from the home directory and manually removed the containers in docker.

I’m fairly new to kinsta but have so far stuck with my valet+ environment as i can’t get sites to import

I’ve just managed to get this working ( I think ) by uninstalling kinsta again and removing the containers and folders.

Then after installing again, instead of pulling from an existing site I chose “New Wordpress Site” made a test site then afterwards tried importing an existing one and it worked.

So far so good. trying with the rest now .

1 Like

Thank you for this @Ryan_Pluckrose. I’m wondering why this worked but sharing your process definitely helps us with future troubleshooting.