"Something Bad Happened" every time I try to make a site

Q: Date/Time this occurred (Provide your time zone also)
A: Always

Q: DevKinsta Version
A: 2.9.0

Q: OS Version
A: Version 22H2 (0S Build 19045.2364)

Q: Docker Desktop Version
A: Docker version 20.10.21, build baeda1f

Q: Were any error codes or messages observed? If so, what were they?
A: “Something bad happened”

Q: Detailed Description of the Problem
A: I Installed Devkinsta just yesterday. When I try to make a WordPress site, I get an error “Something Bad happened.”

ezgif-1-8f309bd1a3

main.log (655.4 KB)

Hello there @a1_mm :wave: Welcome to DevKinsta community!

Thank you for reporting this case and for uploading that main.log file .
I’ve just checked that main.log file and noticed this error message there for example:

[2022-12-16 21:59:11.064] [error] [ipcMainStep] Error in operation SITE_CREATION, step database: Error: Error (1): UERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

and based on the animated screenshot you provided, the “Something Bad happened” happened on the 2nd step that’s “Creating MySQL database” process.

So this sounds like the password for the user “root” does not seem to be correct it seems (and it shows that “Access denied” in the main.log) - I’m not sure what has been done before, as by default the password for root DB access should not be altered/changed.

If you just installed DevKinsta, I assumed you haven’t created any sites yet (and no databases at all), then could you please open the Docker desktop on your Windows and delete the "devkinsta_db" container only (that may look like this - the follow screenshot I took from my Windows 10 pro machine)

Once deleted, please completely close and quit from your DevKinsta as well (make sure it’s not running in the background / not just closed and minimized in the taskbar icon on the bottom right) .

After that, please re-load your DevKinsta and it should recreate that "devkinsta_db" container (and you can re-check your Docker desktop to confirm that "devkinsta_db" container has been re-created/re-setup with the proper root DB password).

Then you can please try to create / setup a new WordPress site with DevKinsta and see if it will be working fine.

Cheers,
Agus

I have the exact same issue and followed the instructions exactly. The problem still persists. Can you help me debug?
main.log (472.6 KB)

Q: Date/Time this occurred (Provide your time zone also)
A: Always

Q: DevKinsta Version
A: 2.9.0

Q: OS Version
A: Edition Windows 11 Home
Version 22H2
Installed on ‎10/‎13/‎2022
OS build 22621.1265
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22638.1000.0

Q: Docker Desktop Version
A: Docker Desktop 4.17.0 (99724)

Q: Were any error codes or messages observed? If so, what were they?
A: “Something bad happened”

Q: Detailed Description of the Problem
A: I Installed Devkinsta today. When I try to make a WordPress site, I get an error “Something Bad happened.”

Hello @bvandrie (Brian) :wave: Welcome to DevKinsta community!

I’ve checked the main.log file you provided, and indeed it seems to be related to that MySQL root password (access denied) issue:

[2023-03-01 11:08:09.328] [info]  [containerExec] Command 'mysql -u root -p****** -e "create database butcherblocksocialcom;"' on devkinsta_db finished with exit code 1
[2023-03-01 11:08:09.329] [error] [ipcMainStep] Error in operation SITE_CREATION, step database: Error: Error (1): UERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

So, as I can understand you just installed DevKinsta today/yesterday (for the first time) and you don’t have any sites in created/imported yet to your local computer (DevKinsta), and I think you don’t have any other data in your Docker yet either, right?

If that so, can you please exit and shutdown both DevKinsta and Docker Dekstop, then try to remove and clean-up DevKinsta completely (remove any folders/data related to it) as well as to remove all containers, images, network volumes, etc. in Docker Desktop.
Also you will need to remove/delete anything inside these folders (e.g.: C:\Users\brian\AppData\Roaming\DevKinsta , and C:\Users\brian\DevKinsta ) .

Once they’re removed completely, please restart your computer, then you may want to re-install the Docker Desktop first, and once done, you can re-install DevKinsta (it will re-download/setup new images/containers from scratch).

After that, please try to create new WP site with DevKinsta and see if the process can be done properly?
So far, I have not been able to replicate this issue on my Windows 10 Pro machine (with DevKinsta 2.9.0 and the latest Docker Desktop 4.17.0). I even just now tried to re-install everything (both DevKinsta and Docker Desktop from scratch) but was still able to create new site just fine.

Cheers,
Agus

Great new, it worked. There must have been a corrupt file locally as the reinstall worked correctly this time. Thanks for your help.

That’s great to hear Brian! :clap:
Glad to see it finally worked after the clean re-installation of both DevKinsta and Docker Desktop on your Windows machine! :smiley:

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.