Site setting that disables Sync > Push to Kinsta

I love DevKinsta but that button on that dashboard that says Sync > Push to Kinsta kind of terrifies me. It would be cool if there were a site setting that disabled that feature so that it could be turned off for production sites that would break if someone used it.

Hello @ryanb Ryan :wave:
Thank you that you love our DevKinsta tool! :heart_eyes:

I’ve just double checked in DevKinsta but didn’t see an option to Sync / push my local site directly to the production or Live site(s) hosted on Kinsta server (in MyKinsta account).

This Sync -> Push to Kinsta in DevKinsta will only be able to push the local site directly, either to the Standard (free) Staging Environment or to the Premium (paid) Staging Environment on Kinsta server.

Also on our knowledge base here, it’s mentioned:

When pushing changes from DevKinsta to MyKinsta, you can only push to a Standard or Premium Staging Environment; you can’t push to a live site directly from DevKinsta. Once you’ve pushed your changes from DevKinsta to a staging environment, you can then push from staging to live in MyKinsta.

Hopefully this answers your concern, and I think, the feature is already there as someone won’t be able to push the local site from DevKinsta directly to the production / live sites ? :smiley:

Please let us know if you have any other concerns about it.

Cheers,
Agus

Oh OK, that’s good if it works that way. I guess it’s the wording that confused me. I imported our site into devkinsta from the live site and I see this when viewing it in the devkinsta dashboard.

Since I imported from the live site I assumed “Push to Kinsta” would push to the live site.

It is a bit confusing then if after importing from the live site “Push to Kinsta” pushes to the staging site. Would “Pull from Kinsta” pull from the live site or the staging site after importing from the live site?

I haven’t actually tried this myself because I didn’t want to risk overwriting the live site. But if the button pushes to staging maybe it should say “Push to Staging” instead of “Push to Kinsta” to be more explicit?

Thank you for your reply Ryan (@ryanb).

It is a bit confusing then if after importing from the live site “Push to Kinsta” pushes to the staging site. Would “Pull from Kinsta” pull from the live site or the staging site after importing from the live site?

I’m sorry for the confusion there. With the “Pull from Kinsta” option, you can select the environment (Live, Free/Standard Staging, or Premium Staging) you want to pull from your MyKinsta account (as shown on our KB article here DevKinsta - Kinsta Integration - Kinsta® Docs )
NOTE:
If you haven’t created Staging environments of that site in question (either free/standard or premium), then you would see only its Live site on the list, when you want to pull the site from your MyKinsta account to DevKinsta.

I haven’t actually tried this myself because I didn’t want to risk overwriting the live site. But if the button pushes to staging maybe it should say “Push to Staging” instead of “Push to Kinsta” to be more explicit?

Sure, please take your time to try that Sync -> Push to Kinsta tool ( this won’t affect/change your Live site at all :smiley: ).

If you have created the Staging environment(s) of your site, you should be able to see it/them and choose from the list, otherwise you can click the " + Create new environment " button on that “Push changes to Kinsta” page (which will open a web browser and will take you to your MyKinsta control panel, and from there you can create/add Staging enviroment for your site in question).

About the wording suggestion ( “Push to Staging” instead of “Push to Kinsta” ), we will suggest it as a feature request to our internal team to improve things based on your feedback.
Thank you for input and suggestion Ryan!

Cheers,
Agus

1 Like