Site Health says, "The optional module, imagick, is not installed, or has been disabled."

Q: Date/Time this occurred (Provide your time zone also)
A: Always

Q: DevKinsta Version
A: 2.1.0

Q: OS Version
A: macOS 11.3.1

Q: Docker Desktop Version
A: 4.0.0(4.0.0.12)

Q: Were any error codes or messages observed? If so, what were they?
A: I haven’t checked about code but I can see the message from Site Health of WordPress

Q: Detailed Description of the Problem
A: Hi, I started using Dev Kinsta very recently. I’m building two sites right now, both of which have received the following warning from Site Health:

One or more recommended modules are missing [ Performance]
PHP modules perform most of the tasks on the server that make your site run. Any changes to these must be made by your server administrator.

The WordPress Hosting Team maintains a list of those modules, both recommended and required, in the team handbook (opens in a new tab).

Warning - The optional module, imagick, is not installed, or has been disabled."

I searched with typed in keyword “imagick” in the search field of the community of DevKinsta, but I could not any topic about it.

And I will upload the data of these two local sites to the production sites which are running. So I need to have imagick in my PHP even on the local site as I need to test a WebP plugin.

I usually go to the cPanel to let Site Health stop saying it, but I cannot find the PHP-option-control panel in the DevKinsta.

I was wondering, if I could be let know about the way to fix this issue with DevKinsta, I would be happy.

Thanks!

Hi @saw ! I’m happy to help. ImageMagick is installed by default so I’m not sure why that’s appearing. Could you go to the following http://yoursite.local/wp-admin/site-health.php?tab=debug then click on media handling and let me know what it says there? Here’s an example from my machine.

1 Like

Hi @michael ! Thank you for your prompt reply and I’m sorry for my late reply.
Could you let me know how can I attach a screenshot to a reply? I’m sorry to trouble you. :bowing_man::pray:

Hi @michael ! While waiting for your reply, I found a button " Upload" in Tools above the entry field. So I clicked it. But I was told that I can’t use it, so I placed the links below.
I took screenshots on the URL that you’ve let me know, on both sites in the DevKinsta. I’m looking forward to hearing from you. Thank you so much for your time.

I’ve also noticed that message on my DevKinsta sites. Since I do not need ImageMagick, I did not care.

A quick test shows, that ImageMagic is only available for php8.0:

@michael you might want to explicitely install ImageMagick for each PHP version in the fpm docker image:
https://hub.docker.com/layers/kinsta/devkinsta_fpm/latest/images/sha256-746af0fd87952f2ab34b89d54ddfa2c7c182cddca7374ca7826fcb38b1cc06e6?context=explore

Check Line 8:
apt-get install ... php-imagick ... → this only installs the module for the current php version (not all versions).

You might want to use this variant to provide the module for all PHP versions:
apt-get install ... php7.2-imagick php7.3-imagick php7.4-imagick php8.0-imagick ...

1 Like

Hi @michael, I’m still waiting for your response.
I moved these sites from another local dev environment (L app by F company) without any change.
And the Site Health hadn’t been warning during the sites had been running in that third party app.
So I thought this is a bug of DevKinsta. And I need to use Imagick as one of my plugins uses it (A plugin to make images of WebP). And most of all, I don’t want to get any warning from Site Health at any stage of the creation of my sites, especially in the early stage.
While @philippstracker also found it and shows the result of his investigation to this page.
His investigation made it clear that it’s not a bug but insufficiency of an option of PHP 7.4 in DevKinsta. It brings warning by Site Health.
I hope the team of DevKinsta would check and fix it.

Hi @philippstracker, Thanks a lot for adding a specific and clear message!

Great catch @philippstracker ! Appreciate it!

@saw I’m sorry for the issues here. I’ll be bringing this up to the team here. This does appear to be a bug where it’s not install in all PHP versions. I’ll provide a guide below in a few moments on how to install for all PHP versions.

1 Like

Hi @saw , here are instructions on how to install imagick:

Open Docker and go to Containers. You’ll see devkinsta_fpm here. Hovering over it you should see a CLI button. Click here and a window will appear:

In this box, you’ll be typing the following and press enter:

apt-get update && apt-get install php7.4-imagick

If you’re using a different PHP version, be sure to change that above.

Let me know if you’re still having issues!

1 Like

Hi @michael , thank you so much for your kindness and precious time to make the detailed instruction.
The installed PHP version was 7.4 on both sites.
So I followed the instruction and enter the given code as it is.
And I got the code (I call it “resulting-code-1.txt” for this topic).

I was surprised that I found I can’t copy and paste the code here as the system of this community says because new user can’t place over two links in a message.
But there are so many links in the code! When I would come to be a old user here?
Anyway, I place the “resulting-code-1” on this page.

I think you will be surprised that I made a mistake in the simple steps.
But, awwww, I was so careless, and I hadn’t read the last line in the code! So I quitted Terminal as I misunderstood that the process was finished. Aww!!

After I found the issue was still there on the Site Health page on a site, I’ve read the code which I copied and pasted on a memo pad. OMG! I found that I now noticed I should enter “Y” but didn’t!

And so I started over again. Quitting Dev Kinsta and Docker, then starting Docker, then enter the code to Terminal and I got the code (I call it “resulting-code-2.txt” for this topic).

I placed it on this page.

I am keeping open Terminal and Docker until I would be given the solution to this situation.
I’m sorry to bother you so often, but I need your help.

Hi @michael ,
This is my second reply to your previous message.
Before I sent my previous message, I noticed that I already have a completely different thing to improve DevKinsta. (I’ll create another new topic later if there isn’t an old one already in the community.)
And without talking about the new topic, it’s too difficult to talk about my original topic, so I’m sorry for it, I have to talk about it a little bit here and please forgive me.

Anyway, I have a plan to build another new site with a certain very heavy theme to have many important functions, and this plan is a kind of urgent matter for me.

On the other hand, I have to edit php.ini to use the heavy theme and I could not find a similar file in the directories of a site in DevKinsta.
So, after sending my previous message, I decided to use another local development environment app this time. (The app L has a file named php.ini.hbs and I feel I can edit it for this purpose.)

Moreover, I think it is better to stop using DevKinsta until at least the end of the development of that important site. Because I don’t know how to open DevKinsta if another PID already uses port 80 and port 443.
The app L gives us a solution to this situation. We can use http://localhost: 12345 (12345 is a specific number for each site), instead of using https://example.local.
(And I think this is another topic to improve DevKinsta, so I’ll make a new topic if there isn’t an old one already.)

And to start creating this specific site with that specific theme is an urgent matter for me, so I changed my mind to stop keeping Terminal and Docker opened until hearing your answer. I’m sorry.

Anyway, I think the solution to this topic “Error message from Site Health about Imagick” would be helpful for somebody, so I will continue to keep this topic on this page. So could you please keep letting me/us know the solution?
Thank you for your kindness.

No worries at all! Try restarting Docker but exiting out of the application entirely and trying again. That should stop the process that’s being held. There’s also a restart button here if you prefer:

1 Like

Hi @michael
Thank you for letting me know the solution despite my stupid mistake. :sweat_smile: :pray:

As I mentioned in my last message, now I can’t use DevKinsta because port 80 and port 443 are currently being used by other PIDs that have upper priority (I found a topic on this subject, so I’ll talk about it there.)

So it will be some time before I can try the solution you kindly let me know.
Until then, I hope that you and the system will tolerate not closing this topic and keep it as it is.
And if so, I don’t need your reply this time until I come and report the results sometime later.

And if somebody found the error and come to this topic, please let us know the result of the trial of the solution that Michael let us know.

Thanks again for your great kindness, Michael.
See you then.

Here’s my feedback :slight_smile: I could fully solve the site-health problem by manually installing the module for each PHP version.

Here’s my script - you can run it directly from your cmd.exe (Win) or Terminal app (Mac) while DevKinsta is running; no need to open Docker:

docker exec devkinsta_fpm bash -c "apt-get update; apt-get -y install php7.2-imagick; service php7.2-fpm restart"
docker exec devkinsta_fpm bash -c "apt-get update; apt-get -y install php7.3-imagick; service php7.3-fpm restart"
docker exec devkinsta_fpm bash -c "apt-get update; apt-get -y install php7.4-imagick; service php7.4-fpm restart"
docker exec devkinsta_fpm bash -c "apt-get update; apt-get -y install php8.0-imagick; service php8.0-fpm restart"

Each line installs the Imagick module for one PHP version; you just copy-paste the four lines to your terminal, hit the enter key and wait for it to complete.

After that, your DevKinsta environment is fully patched and the Site Health tool correctly reports: “Is the Imagick library available? Yes”.

2 Likes

Even better! Thanks for that!

1 Like

WOW! @philippstracker
I tried it and it’s perfect! :sparkles: Thanks a lot! :pray:
I appreciate so much your great kindness to create the script and let me and other users know with very clear instruction, despite the condition that you don’t need Imagick.

Hi @michael
I’m so happy that you also like his answer!
And I’m so happy this topic will be helpful for people who also need the Imagick in the cases of using lower versions of PHP until this issue would be improved in the new version of DevKinsta sometime later.