Push to Staging fails on Uploading local site (DK0026)

Q: Date/Time this occurred (Provide your time zone also)
A: 2022-02-02 18:50:00 UTC

Q: DevKinsta Version
A: 2.4.0.2954

Q: OS Version
A: macOS Monterey 12.0.1

Q: Docker Desktop Version
A: 4.4.2

Q: Were any error codes or messages observed? If so, what were they?
A: DK0026

Q: Detailed Description of the Problem
A: Since updating DevKinsta to 2.4.0, local sites cannot be pushed to remote staging. I’ve tried restarting, re-pulling fresh copy to local, but it’s always stuck on “Uploading Local Site” with DK0026 error.

2 Likes

Hi @kevinang, welcome to DevKinsta!

I’m able to reproduce this and have escalated it to our devs. We should get a fix very soon since this is an important issue. I’ll update you as soon as I know more.

Thank you for reporting this and sorry for the inconvenience.

I’m having this exact same issue. is there an ETA for a fix? on a tight deadline and really need to get a push to staging ASAP

1 Like

Hi @kevinang, @aaronblomberg and anyone experiencing this issue. I believe I have found a workaround until an official solution is released.

Please navigate to your site’s local files within DevKinsta and DELETE the Kinsta MU Plugin folders/files.

So go to \DevKinsta\public\yoursitename\wp-contents\mu-plugins and delete the kinsta-mu-plugins directory as well as kinsta-mu-plugins.php then retry that failed step.

Please let me know if this does not solve the issue.

Thanks!

Does that mu-plugins folder exist on every project? I can’t seem to find one on ours.

This is what I have on my local folder:

debug.log index.php plugins   themes    upgrade   uploads

I’ve also searched throughout my local filesystem and cannot find kinsta-mu-plugins.php

Very strange; that was the issue for my sites.
Can you go to DevKinsta\logs\main.log and check to see what the actual error is when it fails?

In my case it was a permissions error regarding mu-plugin files. It might be something different for you.

You can also get to the logs by clicking on the question mark within DevKinsta and going to “Reveal log file in File Manager”

Thanks @Kevin ! I saw the logs, but don’t see any permission-related errors. Here’s what I got instead:

[2022-02-03 14:46:24.397] [error] [uploadFiles] Error while uploading files Error: Encountered an error: RangeError [ERR_CHILD_PROCESS_STDIO_MAXBUFFER]: stdout maxBuffer length exceeded
    at /Applications/DevKinsta.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/main.prod.js:2:620423
    at ChildProcess.exithandler (node:child_process:413:5)
    at ChildProcess.emit (node:events:394:28)
    at ChildProcess.emit (node:domain:475:12)
    at maybeClose (node:internal/child_process:1064:16)
    at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (node:internal/child_process:301:5)
[2022-02-03 14:46:24.398] [error] [ipcMainStep] Error in operation SITE_PUSH, step rsync: Error: Encountered an error: RangeError [ERR_CHILD_PROCESS_STDIO_MAXBUFFER]: stdout maxBuffer length exceeded
    at /Applications/DevKinsta.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/main.prod.js:2:620423
[2022-02-03 14:46:24.398] [error] Error: Encountered an error: RangeError [ERR_CHILD_PROCESS_STDIO_MAXBUFFER]: stdout maxBuffer length exceeded

Hopefully that helps!

1 Like

Yes that definitely helps. It looks like the error is failing at the same spot on both Windows and Mac but for different reasons.

When you run the Push how far along is it getting? Can you see what percentage it’s reaching when uploading before it quits on you?

I’m going to do my best to test this on a Mac/reproduce it.

Sure!

It goes as far as ~270 MiB of uploads before the whole process crashes. It seems to happen at the same place every time, and it doesn’t seem to be a flaky issue.

Screen Shot 2022-02-03 at 2.53.52 PM

1 Like

Thank you, that helps! I’ll keep at this and let you know as soon as we have an update!

kinsta

That solution didn’t work for me either. it hung and failed at the usual spot again. let me know if there’s anything else we can try

@aaronblomberg, are you on Mac as well? Does the error in you log file look similar/mention RangeError [ERR_CHILD_PROCESS_STDIO_MAXBUFFER]: stdout maxBuffer length exceeded ?

@Kevin I can confirm that this is issue with the size of uploads. I tried removing some content and with ~280MiB of total uploads it was pushed successfully.

Hence the ERR_CHILD_PROCESS_STDIO_MAXBUFFER error it seems …

1 Like

Hi @Kevin - i’m on a mac and my log file is really long but i’ll attach here
main.log (952.0 KB)

1 Like

@Kevin - i unfortunately don’t have the luxury of removing some content as we need everything pushed up and everything was working before properly. let me know if there’s anything else i can attempt

Thanks @kevinang that helps a lot with narrowing this down. I’ll pass this along to our team.

Thank you for that @aaronblomberg, I’ll share that with our team as well. I’m going to assume the issue for you also has to do with file size.

So to recap, since the latest release, DK0026 is being produced in two situations:

1. due to a permissions issue with the mu-plugins directory (so far only happening on Windows)
  2. due to large file sizes (so far only reported on Mac)

I’m pushing all this info to our Dev team and am hoping for an update from them soon. I’ll keep everyone updated as I learn more.

2 Likes

Our team is also getting this as of 4h ago. We’re on MacOS. Two different dev’s have tried pushing to staging this evening from two different computers on two different networks. Both failed. same error

Were still crafting the site so it really doesn’t have very much content, but it has a number of custom templates, some assets and 3 plugins.

Q: Date/Time this occurred (Provide your time zone also)A: 2022-02-02 18:37:56 PST

Q: DevKinsta VersionA: Version 2.4.0 (2.4.0.2954)

Q: OS VersionA: macOS 10.15.7 (Catalina)

Q: Docker Desktop VersionA: 4.2.0

Q: Were any error codes or messages observed? If so, what were they?A: "Something bad happened DK0026 "

Q: Detailed Description of the ProblemA: Was able to pull from staging w/o issue. Tried pushing to staging this evening repeatedly. Stalls out mid-push Same error (details above are myown)

LMK if i can supply any other information

2 Likes

Hi @sjds-frog, thanks for sharing this; our devs have confirmed these issues and say they will not be able to push the fix until next week. I’ll keep everyone apprised on this and let you know as soon as the fix is out!

Sorry again for the inconvenience everyone but thank you for helping us get this sorted.

1 Like

Add us to the people affected as well, the site is 980Mb and consistently failing at around 400Mb uploaded. I’m presuming it is possible to do a migration from Local dev into a basic WP install on Kinsta via Duplicator to get the initial site uploaded and then use GIT to run any further smaller continual updates until the fix next week or sometime?

BTW, using the option to ‘retry’ several times we now have the DK0013 Error that won’t clear, despite restarts. I don’t intend to spend any time on investigation until the DK00026 fix is available, just note that when this DK00013 error notification comes up, it doesn’t go away (as noted in another very recent thread).