Installed on Macbook & just shows folder icon with a ? even after rebooting

Tried installing on my macbook and it just started flashing a folder with a ? icon on it.I tried rebooting and it continues to do the same thing.

I cannot access my macbook at all anymore. Is there any way to fix this? I tried command+r to try and repair things, but that does nothing.

Hi @BrentCopeland . Welcome to DevKinsta. Sorry you’re having trouble. What part of the install were you at before the issue started?

To recover your Mac, try the following official steps from Apple.

I’ve been trying the things in that link and i’m down to the reinstall part, which I really don’t want to do. Can you give me some insight to what changes devkinsta makes that could cause this.

When I try to change/check the startup drive, it won’t even list one there now.

And will reinstalling the OS delete any files? This is my work laptop and I have a ton of files on there that I would like to keep.

I’m sorry for the trouble @BrentCopeland . We’re not entirely sure how that could have happened. Do you recall what steps were taken exactly during the installation process?

Downloaded dmg, moved dmg to applications, it started installing. I don’t recall if there were any prompts, but I know it was doing something with docker. I went to work on another computer and when I checked back the ? icon was blinking.

I know that’s not much help, but I didn’t see anything abnormal from other installations, so I didn’t really take note of what was going on.

Thank you for the additional information @BrentCopeland . It’s difficult to determine whether the installation of Docker may have caused that. It seems unlikely. I recommend re-installing MacOS and possibly seeing an Apple technician for further guidance on restoration and installation of MacOS.

At this point, I’m assuming it’s a bad hard drive with it not showing up now in any items that require you to select a hard drive. (Selecting boot drive, reinstalling, etc…). I’ll report back once I get a new drive and devkinsta installed.

Hi @BrentCopeland :wave: Sorry to hear that it’s still problematic, personally when my old MacBook had a hard drive failure it behaved the same and required a new drive :pensive: Let us know how it goes :crossed_fingers:

We haven’t heard back from you on this topic in a while. However, if you do need further assistance you can simply start a new conversation here on DevKinsta. Let us know if you need further assistance! :wave: