Increase local PHP performance

Is there any way of increasing the performance of DevKinsta for intensive tasks such as Woocommerce export/import?

I’m working on a site with thousands of products and it is painfully slow doing exports and even slower doing imports (both with post_meta data). It’s noticebly faster on a live staging site with two php workers, and surely to be faster on a live site with 4 php workers. How can I scale Devkinsta locally to perform better in situations like this? (and no, WP-CLI is not the answer I’m looking for;-)

I’m developing some migration process and need to manipulate and test a lot of product data, and this is too slow to be productive.

Hi @sonicviz ! You’re right that it should be significantly faster. That should already be the case here. There’s been a few reports on performance issues across various operating systems and configurations. I’ll link here a couple threads where users found solutions to this:

1. Website Interactivity is Slow - #49 by michael
  2. Insane VMMEM usage - #5 by michael

What operating system are you currently on?

Let me know if any of those threads help here.

Win 11 Pro x64. Using Docker for Desktop, Hyper-V (not using WSL for other reasons atm).
Will check out the links, thanks.

Are you sure it’s multi-threading properly?
My docker has 4 CPU’s / 8GB Ram, yet it’s hitting 80%+ CPU with just 2 sites loading pages.

Looking further into all the container’s performance, it does appear to be overloading the devkinsta.fpm container with very high CPU when you load a page, especially on a large site. The db container isn’t show abnormally high CPU.

Is it possible to increase the local performance of PHP at all?

See also:

You could edit the PHP configuration, though it requires a bit of work for that. We do plan on releasing hopefully soon a way to edit this much easier. This thread here covers how to edit that. I’ll post an update here once we have more information on the ability to edit the PHP configuration easier.

We just released DevKinsta 2.3.0 which gives you the ability to edit the PHP.ini file if you’d like to try that out.

Thanks! I’ll check it out asap.