How to Change upload_max_filesize in Windows

I use DevKinsta on Windows 11.
I’ve been trying to change the upload_max_filesize in php.ini
I’ve followed exactly these instructions:

"1. Open Terminal on your Mac and type in docker exec -it devkinsta_fpm bash
2. Type in apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get install nano. You will be prompted to type Y. This step will install nano so you can edit the file.
3. Then type in nano /etc/php/7.3/fpm/php.ini. You may need to change the 7.3 to another version. Match this with the version the site is on on DevKinsta.
4. There’s quite a bit here but what you’re looking for is post_max_size. To do a search, press control+w on your keyboard - type post_max_size - then enter.
5. Change this to your desired value. post_max_size = 64M should do it. Exit with control+x and press Y to save.
6. Type exit then docker restart devkinsta_fpm

Should be all good from there! Let me know if you have any questions about any steps here."

When I look at the php.ini file in nano, the changes I’ve made are shown exactly as I want them.
But when I go to my DevKinsta site, the upload_max_filesize is still at 128M

What do I have to do to get the changes I edited into php.ini to show up in my DevKinsta website??

I use DevKinsta on Windows 11.
I’ve been trying to change the upload_max_filesize in php.ini
I’ve followed exactly these instructions:

"1. Open Terminal on your Mac and type in docker exec -it devkinsta_fpm bash
2. Type in apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get install nano. You will be prompted to type Y. This step will install nano so you can edit the file.
3. Then type in nano /etc/php/7.3/fpm/php.ini. You may need to change the 7.3 to another version. Match this with the version the site is on on DevKinsta.
4. There’s quite a bit here but what you’re looking for is post_max_size. To do a search, press control+w on your keyboard - type post_max_size - then enter.
5. Change this to your desired value. post_max_size = 64M should do it. Exit with control+x and press Y to save.
6. Type exit then docker restart devkinsta_fpm

Should be all good from there! Let me know if you have any questions about any steps here."

When I look at the php.ini file in nano, the changes I’ve made are shown exactly as I want them.
But when I go to my DevKinsta site, the upload_max_filesize is still at 128M

Is there any other way to change upload_max_filesize that is easier for a Windows user like me who isn’t all that familiar with the nano editor?

Welcome to DevKinsta @GECinAZ ! I’m happy to help. I noticed the thread got posted twice, so I’ve merged them to avoid confusion.

The above steps are indeed correct. Ensure that if PHP version that is being used is the php.ini file that’s updated. As in if the site is using PHP 7.4, ensure that you’re editing the one found in /etc/php/7.4/fpm/php.ini. Next is to ensure that PHP is being restarted. Try restarting the container within Docker for devkisnta_fpm.

Michael,

I have done all the steps you provided at least twice. I am positive I edited /etc/php/7.4/fpm/php.ini. And I restated the Docker container as instructed, but still the max_upload_filesize on my DevKinsta website remains at 128M.

I’m at a loss as to what to do next.

@GECinAZ Hm. Try creating a info.php and inserting the following lines into the file:

<?php

phpinfo( );

?>

We have a guide on this here too: How to Easily Create and Use a phpinfo Page (In 3 Steps)

What’s the upload_max_filesize value you see in there?

Michael,
I created the phpinfo.php file and the value for upload_max_filesize is still 128M

Thanks

It does appear that it’s not being applied. I’m not sure what else it could be unfortunately. Could you try editing the php.ini file for all the other PHP versions as well to see if that helps?

Michael,

I tried editing the php.ini file for the other PHP versions, but that did not work.
So I decided to try creating a new site but DevKinsta hung during the “Creating New Site” portion.
So then I killed all the DevKinsta processes and tried DevKinsta again, but it hung.
Then I completely uninstalled DevKinsta, restarted my machine, and tried creating another site. But DevKinsta again hung up in “Creating New Site”. I waited 15 minutes while it remained in “Creating New Site”.

So I’m done with DevKinsta…I’ve wasted far more time with it than I should have. While it may be a great app and all that, it certainly doesn’t work for me at all.

@GECinAZ I’m sorry for the trouble there. We are working on making it easier to edit the PHP configuration. We’ll update you when that feature becomes available.