DevKinsta Version of Site Shows HTTPS "Not Secure" - Uh oh!

Hi. I’m a new DevKinsta customer, but in the long tradition of me finding ways to break things right out of the box (goes all the way back to when I was a kid), I’ve already managed to flummox the Kinsta techs, so they referred me over here for help.

FYI, I’m a fairly sophisticated WP user, but definitely not a coder, so please assume I know nothing (and you won’t be far off). :open_mouth: For instance, my head immediately starts to hurt just looking at Docker. :face_with_head_bandage:

So as described above, my DevKinsta site is showing “Not Secure” on all browsers (Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Opera), so I don’t think it’s a browser issue. SSL and HTTPS is turned on in DevKinsta, and my local certificate appears to be set up properly (I shared screen shots of the cert set up in Keychain with Eugene at Kinsta and he agreed that it all looks spiffy).

I’m on a Mac running 10.14.6 (Mojave).

I’m not sure that I can move forward with working on my site locally (DevKinsta) if it’s giving me this warning. Does anybody know? I can get by with the warning so long as when I push the site to live it’s OK.

So…

1. Does anybody know how to fix this “Not Secure” certificate issue?

2. If it can’t be fixed, should I be OK pushing to live or no?

Any help/insights would be greatly appreciated! :+1: Thanks in advance!

Hi @Karl_Steinmann maybe you need to adjust your WordPress URL - you can try the following:

Log into wp-admin. Open Settings > General. Then double check if your “WordPress Address” and “Site Address” both start with “https://” (and not “http://”)

Hey Philipp!

Thanks for the response! I didn’t think to check that. Neither did the patient and helpful Kinsta tech (or maybe he already considered this and knew it was not the issue).

My site is already set to HTTPS on both counts, so that doesn’t appear to be the problem.

I sincerely wish it was that easy! :worried:

Hi @Karl_Steinmann :wave:

We’ve recently released a new DevKinsta version which fixed an SSL situation with Firefox though I’m not too sure regarding to other browsers as well :thinking: It does indeed sound like the SSL might be missing something like a certificate chain if it’s happening to all browsers. Though it may be worth updating to the latest version released today to see if that helps :pray:

In regards to pushing the site live, it would indeed be fine as it would simply use the SSL within MyKinsta (either Cloudflare or your own custom SSL) and not a locally (unsigned) generated one which generally occurs with DevKinsta.

Let me know how it goes!

We haven’t heard back from you on this topic in a while. However, if you do need further assistance you can simply create a new topic on the forum. Thank you again for using DevKinsta. Let us know if you need further assistance! :wave: