DevKinsta stuck on Updating site urls... (and isn't updating site urls!)

Continuing the discussion from DevKinsta stuck on updating site URLs when opening - #2 by Kevin

Q: Date/Time this occurred (Provide your time zone also)
A: 14:40 (UTC+8)

Q: DevKinsta Version
A: Version 2.3.0 (2.3.0.2184)

Q: OS Version
A: MacOS Monterey 12.0.1 (21A559) for M1 MacBook Air

Q: Docker Desktop Version
A: 4.2.0 (70708)

Q: Were any error codes or messages observed? If so, what were they?
A: “Updating site urls…”

Q: Detailed Description of the Problem
A:

I tried to reinstall DevKinsta because after creating a site, the site urls were not updated. I then experienced the same issue as @bw21s

Not only does the error message prevent DevKinsta from loading first time (so you have to quit and re-open for the app to load), but then after you import a site from Kinsta urls are then sometimes not actually been re-written on import from Kinsta live (the behaviour witnessed is that when I try to load xyz.local I am redirected to xyz.net) – I suspect this is because after re-installing, there are no sites in DevKinsta for the script to update urls for.

The secondary issue is that I can’t find in the DevKinsta documentation a clear uninstallation guide or at least a concise list of locations where DevKinsta stores files in MacOS … so it is impossible to know how to completely uninstall or re-install DevKinsta and Docker cleanly. Are there any plans to make an uninstaller or at least provide really clear documentation that the community can follow?

Hi @jamesgreenblue, this is definitely looking like a new issue for DevKinsta 2.3.0. I’ve been able to reproduce all of the issues and have forwarded all findings to our developers. This issues seems to only occur on M1 machines. The database search and replace is not working as it should.

Reinstalling DevKinsta will not remedy this issue as it appears to be an issue with the code in the current version. For now, the quickest fix seems to be to run the search and replace before the site is copied from Kinsta to DevKinsta using our Search and Replace Tool.

So if you are ending up with xyz.local within DevKinsta, you should run a search and replace within Kinsta for xyz.netxyz.local then copy the site into DevKinsta. You would reverse this process if copying a site from DevKinsta into Kinsta.

I definitely see how this isn’t ideal and am making sure that we address this for the next DevKinsta release. Please let me know if there’s anything else I should relay to the team about this issue.

I’ve contacted our content team and have asked them to create an official “uninstall” document that covers everything. Again, uninstalling/reinstalling won’t fix this error since it seems to be a code issue.

Sorry for the issues here but please let us know if you see any more problems or need any clarification.

Same issue here. Following this thread.

1 Like

(This is linked to my general request for better Apple Silicon / M1 support)

@Kevin

Thanks for the follow-up. Any idea when the new release might come out?

No problem, @bw21s!
I don’t have an ETA yet but I can confirm that it’s on the list of bugfixes for the next release. In the meantime our devs recommend updating the values in the database/wp-config.php manually/not relying on DevKinsta to do this for now.

Please let me know if you end up having issues with this and I can create a thorough guide.

Hi Kevin,
Can we downloaded the version previous than this one if that didn’t have this issue.

Hi @sahil-innostax, welcome to DevKinsta!

Unfortunately, I don’t see a way to download old versions of DevKinsta. I will bring this issue to our Developers’ attention again, though!

+1

I’m having the same issue, and couldn’t get past the “updating site URLs” screen for a while. I had to force quit and reopen DevKinsta a couple of times before it moved on to the next step.

Hi, for everyone following this thread version 2.4.0 of DevKinsta has been released and should address this issue. Please let us know if you’re still able to reproduce this!

Thank you!

still getting this error in 2.4.0 on apple m1

Hi @dalton, welcome to DevKinsta!
So on you initial DevKinsta install it’s still getting stuck on Updating site urls?
Does force closing/restarting still fix it? I’ll try to reproduce this as I was told it was fixed in this version.

Hi Kevin,

Yes it was occurring on the initial devkinsta install. Trying to close via the menu/tray icon seems to only close the GUI and didn’t help. kill -9ing the PIDs and starting it again seemed to get it past updating site URLs.

I’m on docker desktop 4.4.2 and osx 12.1 with a fresh(first time trying to install today) download of the 2.4.0 devkinsta dmg

1 Like

Thank you for for pointing this out @dalton; I was also able to reproduce this again on M1 and got some useful data. I’ll work more closely with our team to make sure this is resolved for the next minor release.

Any news about this @Kevin ? I’ve installed DevKinsta on Mac and url’s are not replaced.

Hi @Lamper_Design, this issue should be fixed for everyone using version [2.4.0 of DevKinsta].(DevKinsta Releases (Minor) - #8 by Kevin)

Which urls were not replaced for you? The ones in wp_options like the home and siteurl? Feel free to private message the staging URL to me as well and I’ll see if there’s anything that would affect the search and replace.

Same error on a new installation. What is it trying to update?! Alternating with DK0005 when i restart.

Two years passed, should i give up on devkinsta? I also see two years were not enough to fix the cmd+q not quitting the app.

@Marek_Maurizio

I’m not sure if you’ve already fully quit both DevKinsta and Docker Desktop after the restart. If not, please do so and then relaunch DevKinsta. If the problem persists, please send us a copy of your main.log file. To find it, click on the question mark icon at the bottom-left corner of DevKinsta, and then select “Reveal log file in File Manager”. If you’re unable to access the DevKinsta dashboard, you can go directly to the specific log directory depending on your machine to copy the log file. See here: Troubleshooting - Error Codes - Kinsta® Docs We want to investigate the problem and help you find a solution.

Please also provide us with the following information:
- Machine OS version
- DevKinsta version
- Docker Desktop version

Additionally, to address the issue where cmd+q is not quitting the app, please select the “Close button should quit DevKinsta” option in the DevKinsta settings page.

Once enabled, you should be able to use cmd+q to fully quit DevKinsta.

Thank you for cooperating with us. Best regards. :slightly_smiling_face: