DevKinsta stuck on Updating site urls... (and isn't updating site urls!)

Continuing the discussion from DevKinsta stuck on updating site URLs when opening - #2 by Kevin

Q: Date/Time this occurred (Provide your time zone also)
A: 14:40 (UTC+8)

Q: DevKinsta Version
A: Version 2.3.0 (2.3.0.2184)

Q: OS Version
A: MacOS Monterey 12.0.1 (21A559) for M1 MacBook Air

Q: Docker Desktop Version
A: 4.2.0 (70708)

Q: Were any error codes or messages observed? If so, what were they?
A: “Updating site urls…”

Q: Detailed Description of the Problem
A:

I tried to reinstall DevKinsta because after creating a site, the site urls were not updated. I then experienced the same issue as @bw21s

Not only does the error message prevent DevKinsta from loading first time (so you have to quit and re-open for the app to load), but then after you import a site from Kinsta urls are then sometimes not actually been re-written on import from Kinsta live (the behaviour witnessed is that when I try to load xyz.local I am redirected to xyz.net) – I suspect this is because after re-installing, there are no sites in DevKinsta for the script to update urls for.

The secondary issue is that I can’t find in the DevKinsta documentation a clear uninstallation guide or at least a concise list of locations where DevKinsta stores files in MacOS … so it is impossible to know how to completely uninstall or re-install DevKinsta and Docker cleanly. Are there any plans to make an uninstaller or at least provide really clear documentation that the community can follow?

Hi @RWF, this is definitely looking like a new issue for DevKinsta 2.3.0. I’ve been able to reproduce all of the issues and have forwarded all findings to our developers. This issues seems to only occur on M1 machines. The database search and replace is not working as it should.

Reinstalling DevKinsta will not remedy this issue as it appears to be an issue with the code in the current version. For now, the quickest fix seems to be to run the search and replace before the site is copied from Kinsta to DevKinsta using our Search and Replace Tool.

So if you are ending up with xyz.local within DevKinsta, you should run a search and replace within Kinsta for xyz.netxyz.local then copy the site into DevKinsta. You would reverse this process if copying a site from DevKinsta into Kinsta.

I definitely see how this isn’t ideal and am making sure that we address this for the next DevKinsta release. Please let me know if there’s anything else I should relay to the team about this issue.

I’ve contacted our content team and have asked them to create an official “uninstall” document that covers everything. Again, uninstalling/reinstalling won’t fix this error since it seems to be a code issue.

Sorry for the issues here but please let us know if you see any more problems or need any clarification.

Same issue here. Following this thread.

1 Like

(This is linked to my general request for better Apple Silicon / M1 support)

@Kevin

Thanks for the follow-up. Any idea when the new release might come out?

No problem, @bw21s!
I don’t have an ETA yet but I can confirm that it’s on the list of bugfixes for the next release. In the meantime our devs recommend updating the values in the database/wp-config.php manually/not relying on DevKinsta to do this for now.

Please let me know if you end up having issues with this and I can create a thorough guide.

Hi Kevin,
Can we downloaded the version previous than this one if that didn’t have this issue.

Hi @sahil-innostax, welcome to DevKinsta!

Unfortunately, I don’t see a way to download old versions of DevKinsta. I will bring this issue to our Developers’ attention again, though!

+1

I’m having the same issue, and couldn’t get past the “updating site URLs” screen for a while. I had to force quit and reopen DevKinsta a couple of times before it moved on to the next step.