DevKinsta & Fedora: Stuck on DK0005

Hi,

I’m trying to get DevKinsta 2.7.0 to run on Fedora 36.

I’ve been able to get it to install & start…

1. extract with sudo alien -rg DevKinsta.deb
  2. edit dev-kinsta-{…}.spec so its “Summary:” line actually has any content (being empty causes alien’s auto-mode to fail)
  3. direct install with sudo rpmbuild --buildroot=$PWD -bb --target x86_64 dev-kinsta-{…}.spec
  4. launch /opt/DevKinsta/dev-kinsta

… and after booting Fedora it’ll ask once for root to launch docker, but then always abort launch with DK0005.

This despite Docker 20.10.17 and Docker Desktop 4.11.1 running fine. Eg., this starts & runs properly:
docker run -d -p 80:80 docker/getting-started

I suppose Docker is set up in some way that DevKinsta does not expect.

I know Fedora is unsupported, but is there any way to at least get DevKinsta to print actual debug messages in order to search further myself? Just printing the messages that docker prints would be very useful.

Hi @anre, thanks for reaching out!
Support form us here is going to be limited but you can get more detailed error information in your main.log file. I’m not sure where that is getting generated for you but here are general instructions on how to find that: DevKinsta Error Codes - Kinsta®

Hi @Kevin,

thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the info to the error code on that page doesn’t really point me to anything further.

edit: Ah, main.log is in ~/.config/DevKinsta/logs. This time I didn’t even get to DK0005, it just got stuck on *
main.log (21.5 KB)

I was able to get the GUI to run one time by manually executing…

docker pull kinsta/devkinsta_nginx

… unfortunately on site import, it fails with

DK0073 Description: Could not restart Nginx service
Encountered an error: Error: Command failed: docker exec devkinsta_nginx nginx -s reload

docker start devkinsta_nginx shows “No such container” but on sudo’ing that command it runs. (For some reason the GUI also requests root rights?)

Unfortunately the GUI threw DK0073 even then. On restarting the GUI, it just fails on console with such nginx -s reload related messages.

Hi @anre I can’t really provide full support for this but you might be able to look into the devkinsta_nginx logs to see why it can’t reload: docker logs devkinsta_nginx

You may just constantly run into issues, though, due to Fedora.

Hi Kevin, sorry for the delay. On console, DevKinsta itself prints:

[restartNginx] Restarting nginx service failed. Encountered an error: Error: Command failed: docker exec devkinsta_nginx nginx -s reload
Error: No such container: devkinsta_nginx

16:17:05.761 › Error: Encountered an error: Error: Command failed: docker exec devkinsta_nginx nginx -s reload
Error: No such container: devkinsta_nginx

at /opt/DevKinsta/resources/app.asar/main.prod.js:2:819693
    at ChildProcess.exithandler (node:child_process:413:5)
    at ChildProcess.emit (node:events:394:28)
    at ChildProcess.emit (node:domain:475:12)
    at maybeClose (node:internal/child_process:1064:16)
    at Socket.<anonymous> (node:internal/child_process:450:11)
    at Socket.emit (node:events:394:28)
    at Socket.emit (node:domain:475:12)
    at Pipe.<anonymous> (node:net:672:12)
[updateSiteUrlsWithPorts] Error while updating site URLs: {
  e: 'Error: Encountered an error: Error: Command failed: docker exec devkinsta_nginx nginx -s reload\n' +
    'Error: No such container: devkinsta_nginx\n' +
    '\n' +
    '    at /opt/DevKinsta/resources/app.asar/main.prod.js:2:819693\n' +
    '    at ChildProcess.exithandler (node:child_process:413:5)\n' +
    '    at ChildProcess.emit (node:events:394:28)\n' +
    '    at ChildProcess.emit (node:domain:475:12)\n' +
    '    at maybeClose (node:internal/child_process:1064:16)\n' +
    '    at Socket.<anonymous> (node:internal/child_process:450:11)\n' +
    '    at Socket.emit (node:events:394:28)\n' +
    '    at Socket.emit (node:domain:475:12)\n' +
    '    at Pipe.<anonymous> (node:net:672:12)'
}
Error - DK0056: PORT_SELECTOR_UPDATE_SITE_URLS_ERROR: url
    at /opt/DevKinsta/resources/app.asar/main.prod.js:2:978029
    at tryCatch (/opt/DevKinsta/resources/app.asar/main.prod.js:8:2180690)
    at Generator._invoke (/opt/DevKinsta/resources/app.asar/main.prod.js:8:2180313)
    at Generator.throw (/opt/DevKinsta/resources/app.asar/main.prod.js:8:2181465)
    at asyncGeneratorStep (/opt/DevKinsta/resources/app.asar/main.prod.js:2:1003)
    at _throw (/opt/DevKinsta/resources/app.asar/main.prod.js:2:1388)

Whereas sudo docker logs devkinsta_nginx just prints warnings:

/docker-entrypoint.sh: /docker-entrypoint.d/ is not empty, will attempt to perform configuration
/docker-entrypoint.sh: Looking for shell scripts in /docker-entrypoint.d/
/docker-entrypoint.sh: Launching /docker-entrypoint.d/10-listen-on-ipv6-by-default.sh
10-listen-on-ipv6-by-default.sh: info: /etc/nginx/conf.d/default.conf is not a file or does not exist
/docker-entrypoint.sh: Launching /docker-entrypoint.d/20-envsubst-on-templates.sh
/docker-entrypoint.sh: Launching /docker-entrypoint.d/30-tune-worker-processes.sh
/docker-entrypoint.sh: Configuration complete; ready for start up
2022/09/20 14:17:02 [warn] 1#1: the "http2_max_field_size" directive is obsolete, use the "large_client_header_buffers" directive instead in /etc/nginx/nginx.conf:16
nginx: [warn] the "http2_max_field_size" directive is obsolete, use the "large_client_header_buffers" directive instead in /etc/nginx/nginx.conf:16
2022/09/20 14:17:02 [warn] 1#1: the "http2_max_header_size" directive is obsolete, use the "large_client_header_buffers" directive instead in /etc/nginx/nginx.conf:17
nginx: [warn] the "http2_max_header_size" directive is obsolete, use the "large_client_header_buffers" directive instead in /etc/nginx/nginx.conf:17

Is there a way to get DevKinsta to try and execute the containers as non-root?

That sounds like an issue with how Docker is set up if you can’t access the Docker containers without using the sudo commands. As far as I can tell, DevKinsta only needs root permission/sudo when changing the hosts file/SSL settings.

That being said, we recommend running DevKinsta with the root user when you run into permission issues. The usual permission issues happen when creating files, though. I’ve never seen it occur with the nginx container/Docker.