Dev Kinsta Super Slow

Q: Date/Time this occurred (Provide your time zone also)
A: Ever since I use it, Feb 2023

Q: DevKinsta Version
A: 2.9.0

Q: OS Version
A: Windows 11 Home

Q: Docker Desktop Version
A: 4.16.3

Q: Were any error codes or messages observed? If so, what were they?
A: NO

Q: Detailed Description of the Problem
A: Loading WordPress, front and back-end, refresh a page, takes 15 to 20 seconds

I installed Hyper-V on my windows Home machine, However DevKinsta doesn’t recognise it.

System: HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop, 16 GB, I7-8750H 2.2GHz, 6 cores

I also tried running DevKinsta and Docker using my graphical processor, but no difference.

Hello @DaanVn and welcome to DevKinsta Community,
Just to clarify, when you access Docker’s settings do you see the Hyper-V option enabled?

Regards,

Alessandro

Hi Allessandro, thanks for your fast reply.

Unfortunatly I can’t enable it.

I did get Hyper-V going on my (windows home) system though

Hmm, yeah it looks like Docker doesn’t recognise Hyper-V when using Windows 11 Home.
As an alternative, you can try to increase the resources available to Docker by modifying the .wslconfig settings, this has helped in the past. Our devs are aware that the page loading speed might be slower than usual when using Windows, a fix is on the way but we don’t have a specific ETA for its release just yet.

Regards,
Alessandro

Hi Alessandro, when I look around on this community pages, the problem seems to exist for a long, long time. I think it’s very poor service to leave this hanging for so long without offering a real solution.

My company switched to Kinsta because of de dev/staging/live thing that Kinsta offers. Now it turns out developing takes at least twice the time if you don’t own an apple :frowning:

I probably have to spend another evening finding out about ‘.wslconfig’ settings.

At this stage the 'Faster and more efficiently certainly ain’t true.

Kind regards, Daniel

Hey DaanVn - the WSL thing is somewhat out of Kinsta’s hands. Microsoft only includes the full-fat version of Hyper-V on Windows Pro. You can upgrade your home license to pro for I think $99? Home vs Pro is aptly named, home is really more meant for the family computer rather than to be used in a professional setting such as web development.

I won’t give devKinsta a complete pass here though. The reason WSL2 slows DevKinsta down is because while the docker instances are running in WSL2, the files for the individual sites are stored on the windows file system. Read/write performance across the file system bridge is notoriously slow. This could be resolved by allowing DevKinsta to store it’s files inside of the WSL2 filesystem - something I’ve suggested on multiple occasions.

That said this is a free product that exists purely as a marketing tool for Kinsta. Development of these sorts of applications is quite costly. I expect the DevKinsta team has a budget they must stay within which may limit the number of features they are able to work on at any given time. Other features may be getting higher priority based on user feedback.

Hi DaanVn :wave:

Yes indeed, I can see it’s been a known issue for long time now (the page slowness on Windows home with Docker and WSL 2) that have been discussed for couple of times, and as also mentioned by krisroadruck above.

Our internal DevKinsta developers are also aware about this case, and they are going to deliver the solution in the next DevKinsta development (e.g.: to support a different method of file sharing based on WSL2, which is going to result in much faster page interactivity) - but again we don’t have a specific ETA for its release yet.

In the meantime, I think there are few options that you may want to give it a try when possible:

1. Modifying the .wslconfig settings (WSL2) to give more resources to Docker.
    Though I have no experiences with it either. You may want to check the other URL (option #1) suggested in the other thread/post here: Why my local site is so slow? - #8 by Kevin

2. Upgrade to Windows Pro license (and use Hyper-V).
    Note: I tried DevKinsta on my other spare computer (intel core i7 gen-3 with 16GB ram, Windows 10 Pro, with Docker & Hyper-V, didn’t enable WSL2 in its Docker general settings), and sites’ pages loaded fast there.

3. Or perhaps try to install Ubuntu on your computer (make it dual boot O/S along with your Windows).
    I don’t have Mac either and only use Linux (based on Ubuntu 18.04) for my daily work, and DevKinsta works just fine there (I’ve never experienced any slow page issue).

At this stage the 'Faster and more efficiently certainly ain’t true.

I’m sorry if you feel that way, but I don’t think that statement is relevant for DevKinsta specifically, and to clarify that DevKinsta is only a Free Local WordPress Development Suite that’s running locally on the users’ computers (not running on a Cloud Platform)!. :slight_smile:

Hopefully the alternative options above may help you to solve the site’s page slowness issue.
I also really hope that the real solution can be provided as soon as possible on the next DevKinsta development. :crossed_fingers:

Cheers,
Agus

Good morning @krisroadruck and @Agus ,

First of all thanks for you input.

I finally solved the problem taking the following steps:

• Upgrade to Windows 11 Pro
  • Uninstall Docker
  • Uninstall DevKinsta
  • Clean up the registry
  • Install Docker > choose NOT to use the WS 2 engine
  • Install DevKinsta

Very happy with the results.

That being said, I don’t agree that DevKinsta is a free product and therefore development had a low (lower) budget than needed. DevKinsta is a USP and sold as one. Like I said, the DevKinsta / Staging / Live process is one of the main reasons we’ve chosen Kinsta. In that regards, our start whit Kinsta was a bit of a disappointment.

Enough of it, let’s start coding :-), Daniel

1 Like

Hi @DaanVn ,

We are glad that you have resolved the problem and thank you very much for sharing the steps you have taken to fix the issue, I am sure they will help some users in the future. Although once the next major release is out, there shouldn’t be any need for workarounds :crossed_fingers:

In that regards, our start whit Kinsta was a bit of a disappointment.

We are sorry your experience with us had a rough start, but we are confident it will improve with time.
Happy coding!

Regards,
Alessandro

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.