Advanced Setting - Add 1 (or more) local folders as Volume mounts

I prefer not to mix my development files (plugins / themes) within the wp-content folder. Inevitably when copying wp-content from production - I will wipe out my local files (oops)

I prefer to symlink from within the container to a separate /volume for the files I am currently editing. Then if I later re-copy wp-content (as above) - then I merely have to re-create the symlinks.

This would also be useful those who use build tools such as Composer, Gulp, npm et al - i.e. building would occur outside the container - and we don’t load down the container with those tools.

e.g. on my mac - I could select a folder such as ~/projects/plugins to mount as “dev” - then in the container - I could symlink to /mnt/dev/my-plugin in the plugins directory - voilà!

3 Likes

Thanks for the feature request @onebigidea!

+1 for the same exact reasons!

+1 for this or for symlink support. I primarily provide continuous development and deployment for my clients. I keep all of my themes and plugins in a projects folder where they can be symlinked to several WordPress installs so that development and updates are reflected on all of the dev sites that share those assets.

1 Like

+1 for symlink support. It’s so needed.

1 Like

+1 - this is the feature that keeps me from using DevKinsta- the themes and plugins I develop are used on several different dev sites. With Local, I can just symlink them where I need them.

1 Like

Hi @taija, thanks for the feedback!
I just wanted to point you to this more recent thread: Symlinked plugin does not appear in Admin

I’ve been sharing all the feedback with our developers and it looks like custom volume mounts will be a future feature. We are still in the planning stages but I just wanted everyone to know that we are working on this.